Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Shaving Update

Well....I have my strop in, which like a 2 ft long strip of leather and my hone in. Hone is a fancy word for a sharpening stone. I am still waiting on the razors. Researching on line there are two camps of straight razor enthusiasts.

The Technicians, who analysis their razors edge under microscopes, refer to people as Honemeisters and have all these acronomyns like RAD or Razor Aquisition Disorder. They in general appear very dead set against my method of buying on ebay and self honing. They advise buying from a reputable dealer and also very into the experience. Its a hobby. They are very nice, very knowledgeable and genuinely concerned that those who try straight shaving, have a good experience.

Then you have guys like me, from the Let Er Rip school of thought. Various environmentalist and tinkerers who have always been intrigued by razors and damn the torpedoes and the inevitable blood loss insist on going alone and perhaps in shaving parlance....against the grain.

I will say this...the Technicians have me intimidated. Mother Earth News had me all fired up and ready to go, the online forums have tempered that a little. This will be a project and a process, not an overnight success.

No comments: