Monday, February 18, 2008

Am I Lloyd Dobbler?


I was watching Say Anything last night (insert gay joke here), when I saw certain similarities between myself and Lloyd. Could I have been Lloyd???

The argument for a similarity:

1. He goes after a girl way over his head, and gets her. Granted my wife didn't get a fellowship to study overseas, but she did get full rides to undergrad and law school. I took 7 years (that's right...seven) to get an undergrad degree. By the way did I mention mu degree was in Philosophy and did I further mention I earned it at NKU. Not exactly Harvard over there...

2. Has no clue what he wants to do with his life, except that wants to be with Diane and he doesn't want to sell anything, process anything or buy anything. OK -While I am a sales person, in high school - I had no idea and certainly didn't want to be a sales person and really just wanted to be with my future wife. Still not sold on the sales career, still like being with my wife.

By the way, to be a real sales person, you have to sell stuff. As I have commented before I haven't sold crap in months.

The Crap Market's been off....its not my fault

Our Crap is priced to move, but maybe there's just to much of it out there.
Crap is a nutty business..its hard to predict.

3. Lloyd was an underachiever. I drew some really fantastic bubble art on lots of scantron tests my Senior year, a fact my GPA reflected and a fact that probably cost me some scholarship money when I did finally decide to go to college.

4. Parental conflict - In both my case and Lloyd's there was some pretty intense parental dislike and conflict we had to negotiate. Granted I never had to meet them in jail, but I did have to go to Outback with them alot. That's kinda like jail isn't it, Mate? By the way, who puts skinless cucumbers in salads anyway? Devious Down Under trickery!

5. I taught my wife how to drive a stick on our second date.

The argument against -

1) I do not own a trench coat and never owned one with shoulder pads.

2) I never had a boom box I could hold over my head, and if I did it certainly wouldn't have Peter Gabriel playing in it. I think I would have played Barry White....Can't get enough of your Love Babe would have gone over great with her parents!

3) I didn't have a huge blue land yacht to get it on in and my old hippie painted 86 Nissan Sentra really didn't have the same feel or comfort level to it.

4) Lloyd was cool, I was never that cool. Maybe I should have had a trench coat with shoulder pads.

5) I never called anyone in the rain from a phone booth. John Cusack's always doing that shit. That might have upped my cool factor too.

6) As I mentioned above, I am in sales and not kickboxing.

No comments: