Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Home Alone...

It's Tuesday. I am sitting at my desk, Emma is setting in her seat beside me. This will be my day for the next year. My wife returns to work on Monday, and will leave me here alone. I made the commitment early in the pregnancy to take a year to spend with our second child. I will continue to work from home while trying to be Mr. Mom. Initial observations:



1) Feedback from friends, family and co-workers has ranged from "That's wonderful" to "You're Nuts" to "It'll never last." I also get a lot of interesting facial expressions -which may be more telling than the audible commentary. I don't know yet who is right, but I am excited about a new adventure.



2) I am very concerned about work. My job requires the ability to react and the occasional need to travel. Since I cannot bring Emma to seat 21C to Wherever, it will be interesting to see what happens for me professionally and how I manage (or fail) to juggle both repsonsibilities.



3) This will have a big impact on Jill. For generations, Dad's have left the kids to go to work. Just as I deal with the opposite side of the coin, Jill will have her own internal struggles to manage.



4) I am very interested in this whole process. I plan on doing a weekly update. The highs, the lows, the wins and losses. It may be funny, sad or both...who knows maybe it'll be a book one day. If nothing else, it should make for interesting reading. Stay tuned for next week....

No comments: