Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Bengals 2008: Yes...No....uh...Maybe???

There are dozens of websites that will give you their thoughts on the upcoming Bengals season. Of those dozens, 2 or 3 will actually know what they are talking about. I don't have the football intellect to keep up with the serious armchair analysts, so here's my thoughts and observations on the 2008 Bengals.

1) This is my favorite time to be a Bengals fan - all the glittering potential. Right now we all can go sleep at night thinking Chad's going to be fine, Rudi's going to rush for over a 1000 yards, River's hold out won't hurt him and the Zimmer/Fitzgerald tandem are going to fix what several other coordinators and position coaches couldn't.

2) Jeremy Johnson is fat. He couldn't run through a block and open up a hole if there was a box of donuts, a gallon of iced Grape Kool-Aid, and a comfy couch and a PS3 on the other side waiting on him.

3) Ahmad Brooks: 200 watt physical ability, 25 watt mental ability. Will we get it right with Rivers????

4) Jordan may look like Carson but thus far seems to be playing like the #4 QB, rather than the #1 QB.

5) This division is winnable. Ravens are retooling, the Browns over-achieved last year, and the Steelers aren't looking too healthy right now. The flip side is we aren't scaring anybody either.

6) Seeing Chris Perry at camp moving fast, cutting and taking hits made my nipples hard. All bets are off if he stays healthy.

7) Eric Ghiaciuc.......maybe not up to filling R. Braham's shoes? Can we compete successfully with a project at this position like Whit or Bobbie when it's game time?

8) How tired are you of saying, and hearing, " "This team will go as far as the Offense takes them?" Great! Will they get on the field enough? Having said that....once again I find myself very enthusiastic about our Offense and wary about our defense. I like what I saw in person at the Scrimmage and read of the reports from camp....but its not real football and we open with 4 tough games this year and then have a brutal schedule the rest of the year.

9) Will special teams ever be special again? I like Corey Lynch and Kyries Hebert....and I bet Darrin Simmons does too. I think they will be back up to their form from a couple years ago.

P.S. Dear Darrin: Please don't let Glenn Holt return anything but his playbook this year!


Add it all up and what does it mean? I have no idea. But I cannot wait for Monday Night.

No comments: