Friday, April 4, 2008

Suggestions for the Workplace...

Most of us go to work everyday, and spend at least some time on the internet, so I think this topic is relevant to the internet community at large. I was recently forwarded an email by a friend who works for a large company in the area. The email basically asked their employees how long it had been since they had a sober weekend, and then challenged them to try it. It also directed them to an internal hotline for counseling if the failed the "challenge." Now, 1st of all...I am of the firm opinion that seeing Saturday Night Live with double vision is not only an unalienable right, but it also makes SNL better. In fact, drinking makes many things better. Now that idea really got me thinking.

Perhaps this major company has it all backwards. In stead of going all Henry Ford on their employees and trying to regulate their personal life, how about embracing the consumption of alchohol at home and in the workplace! People, I am talking about real change here! I submit to you, dear reader, that perhaps if the practice of the baccanal arts were permitted in the work place, it would be more productive, and most certainly a happier environment.

I give you the British Navy as my example. In the 18th and 19th centuries, they owned the high seas. Aside from the occasional buggery below decks, the ships ran on booze. Since water was unreliable, they drank beer...lots of it. And once a day, all hands received a grog ration consisting of a pint or more of rum. Yet, British warships were the model of efficiency and productivity as demostrated by their nearly 200 years of dominance on the waves.

Think my friends, of what we could do, if only we traded our coffee cups for beer mugs and our water bottles for flasks.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Awesome. I failed the challenge. I had adult beverages on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. In fact, I consumed grain alcohol on Saturday. It was in the form of a daiquiri so it doesn't count. Maybe I need to call the number...