Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Its Monday Night....do you know where YOUR Special Teams are??

My dog is an unrepentant eater of feces. She will jauntily come towards me with her tail wagging, her tongue lolling and with a big dog grin on her face. By the time I realize what she's been doing, it is too late and her repugnant poop-breath surrounds me. Not only does she do it, but she relishes in it, and she wants me to know it. She's eaten crap a long time, she's never stopped eating crap, but when she walks towards me all smiling...I fall for it every time!

You may be thinking, "OK Chris, where are you going with this?"

Much like my dog, The Bengals have sucked for a long time. They've sucked less the past few years, but we've always been just "this" close to winning. We've always played exciting games, that came down to "a handful of plays." The Bengals have been learning to finish games since they lost their last Super Bowl appearance. Thinking rationally, one begins to suspect they may never learn. But here comes Sunday, and my jersey beckons from my bottom dresser drawer. I try to ignore it, I look the other way, put my hands over my ears. But in the end I put it on, and I take my seat in the stands or in front of the TV and hope that this time, things will be different. This play, this game...this season will be different. I fall for it every time!!!

This Monday Night, we take on the the 3-0 Patriots. A team with a league leading defense, and a bookend league leading offense. Brady, Moss, Junior Seau and a host of others all guided by the future Hall of Famer Bill Belicheat. They are the the gold standard, they represent what the Bengals want to be and they showed us how far we had still to go when they thumped us last year at PBS.

We're banged up, our special teams have been terrible all year, our defense inconsistent, our offense unable to compensate and/or keep up. If you looked at the schedule at the beginning of the year, we would say 2-2 would be a good ending record after the 1st 4 games, and after laying an eg g in Cleveland and Seattle...we need this game. So sit down and take notice as I give you the reason why the Bengals will win this game. Simply stated, Tom Brady cannot be allowed to sleep with Gisele and remain undefeated, it is not acceptable, the Football Gods will smote him for reaching too high and Cincinnati will move to 2 and 2.

I will see you at the game,Who-Dey!

No comments: